Guide to Finding the Best Milkshake Blender
A creamy milkshake seems like a simple thing to make at home in a blender but the results can be surprisingly different depending on the blender that you use. We have analyzed dozens of blenders to help you find the best blender for milkshakes and narrowed it down to our top choices.
Read on if you want to find out how to make the best milkshake at home and which blenders we selected.
Table of Contents
- How to Make a Delicious Milkshake
- Blender vs Milkshake Maker
- How to Choose a Blender
- Best Milkshake Blender Reviews
- Final Thoughts
How to Make a Delicious Milkshake
What makes a good milkshake and how can someone recreate something as thick and delicious as a restaurant milkshakes? Making it from scratch is actually very simple. If you’ve got a tub of ice cream in your freezer, you’re halfway there.
- Soften the ice cream – Make sure that your ice cream is soft, but not runny. If it is too hard, you may end up having to add too much milk and this will dilute the flavor of the ice cream.
- Freeze your glass – Put the glass that you will use for the milkshake into the freezer prior to use to keep your milkshake cold for longer.
- The right measure – Recipes will vary but a typical ratio is three large scoops of ice cream, add two ounces of milk and any flavorings of your choice.
- No ice – Some milk shake recipes use ice but ideally we avoid as it will just water it down. Your cold glass is enough.
- Blend on low speed – After you add the ice cream and the flavors, let the blender run on the lowest speed and add the milk very slowly. This allows the two ingredients to blend seamlessly, thus producing a more evenly textured drink. Stop and stir to check the thickness of the mixture.
Blender vs Milkshake Maker
These appliances are actually very different and here are some of the biggest distinctions:
- Milkshake machines are specifically created for one purpose – to make high-quality milkshakes. Even though that is the case, they only serve that one purpose. Blenders, with blades at the bottom of the jar pull ingredients down into a blending vortex, are much more versatile as they can be used to make smoothies, ice cream, soup, purees and, of course, milkshakes.
- The drink you get with a milkshake machine typically has a lighter, airier texture than a blender-produced one, but it also takes twice as long to make. Although, high powered blenders like Vitamix or Blendtec add air while blending which can fluff up the milkshake.
- In terms of capacity, milkshake machine cups are usually smaller than blender jars. So if you want to make more milkshake in one go, a blender is a better choice.
- Milkshake makers cannot crush ice.
How to Choose a Blender
Before buying a certain milkshake blender, you should review and consider its functions, quality and how easy it is to use and clean. Of course, its design and price are also very important factors when deciding which one you should buy.
Power: Blenders rated at least 500 watts are ideal for making milkshakes and smoothies.
Accessories: A tight-fitting lid helps seal the liquids inside the jar, thus preventing the ingredients from splattering all over your walls and counter during the blending process. Also we really like having a tamper for thick recipes.
Durability: Milkshakes are not too demanding on a blender but you don’t want a blender that won’t overheat from blending thick recipes. Most low cost blenders are made with all plastic and will wear out quicker than a high-speed blender. It really comes down to how frequently you will be using your blender and what ingredients you plan to blend.
Compare prices: When you decide on what type of blender you want, look for the features that are most important to you. Price will vary depending on build quality, horsepower, controls, and accessories.
Best Milkshake Blender Reviews
You can find a wide variety of milkshake blenders on the market, which makes it harder to choose the right one. Here are our favorite choices for different budgets.
1. Vitamix E310 Explorian Blender – Top Choice
The Vitamix E310 is Vitamix’s lowest cost blender with professional features and a powerful motor. The Vitamix brand is known for its powerful, well-built blenders and the Explorian E310 offers Vitamix’s durability with basic features.
Equipped with a 2-horsepower motor that is strong enough to blend a variety of recipes. It comes with a 48-oz. container, which has just the right capacity to produce enough drink for the whole family. Ten variable speeds allow you to refine every texture with culinary precision.
It’s designed to fit under kitchen cabinets. When it comes to cleaning it, just blend warm water and a drop of dish soap at the machine’s highest speed, and it will self-clean in 60 seconds or less – no disassembly required.
Positives: Well built blender with a more compact 48 ounce container compared to Vitamix’s standard 64 ounce container. Built-in tamper can easily whip up the thickest milkshakes. The 10 speed manual dial allows you to adjust the blending without overdoing it.
Negatives: If you’re used to a blender with programs, the E310 may not be the right blender for you. The lower cost is offset by a slightly shorter 5 year full warranty (compared to Vitamix’s 7 or 10 year warranty on its other blenders).
Overall Opinion: The Vitamix E310 is an industrial-grade blender for those who want power and the ability to do a wide range of recipes. It can cut through anything and do a lot more than blending.
2. Blendtec Classic with Wildside Jar – Close Runner Up
Blendtec is known for making professional-strength blenders and the Blendtec Classic with wildside jar will make the creamiest milkshakes you can imagine.
This model is an improvement over the company’s popular “Total Blender” model. Combine this blender with the specially designed Wildside+ jar and you will have no problem making any milkshake you can imagine. The Wildside+ jar design improves blending results of recipes using frozen ingredients.
Powered by a 1650 watt motor and 90 oz jar this blender is designed to blend anything. It features 5 manual speeds plus a pulse button as well as preset hands-off blending programs for smoothies, clean, 60 seconds, and 90 seconds.
Positives: Very powerful blender with simple to use controls. Pair this model with the Wildside+ jar and Blendtec Spoonula to blend up the thickest milkshakes. Made in the USA with a full coverage 8 year warranty.
Negatives: Price might be a little high for some consumers that only want a blender for occasional use. Doesn’t have a large number of speeds.
Overall Opinion: This blender can make the creamiest shakes and easily blend ice and frozen fruits. It is built to commercial standards and will last a very long time. A big advantage of this blender over weaker blenders is that it can be used for a wide range of blending tasks (soups, doughs, batters, nut butters, green smoothies, etcetera).
3. Oster Reverse Crush – Affordable Blender for Milkshakes
Oster makes a lot of blender models and the Oster Reverse Crush (Model BVCB07-Z00-NP0) is a good low-cost blender that makes simple milk shakes and has been on the market since 2007. This blender features 600 watts of continuous blending power with 1000 watts of peak power. The unique reverse blade control moves the ingredients around for consistent blending.
This blender features a 60 ounce(6 cup) glass blending jar and has 7 speeds from low to high pulse. A unique accessory that is available for this blender is Oster’s specially designed milkshake blade that aerates while blending for a fluffier at-home milk shake.
Positives: Popular, affordable blender that is simple to use. Offers nice controls and 10 year drive train warranty.
Negatives: The blender isn’t as powerful as our top 2 choices above and will struggle with difficult blending tasks such as thick soups and nut butters. Doesn’t come with a tamper so you will have to stop and stir thick recipes.
Overall Opinion: The Oster Reverse crush is a well priced blender for blending milk shakes, smoothies, and basic blending tasks. The compatible milkshake blade is a neat accessory.
4. KitchenAid Diamond Blender
The KitchenAid 5-Speed Blender is a versatile and easy-to-use kitchen appliance. It is an attractive and well-designed unit with a powerful motor. This blender has a large 60-ounce jar that you can easily add ingredients to while it is running. It features 5 speeds, a soft start feature which makes it start at a slower speed to pull food into the blade before quickly increasing to the selected speed, and a crush ice mode. Its stainless steel blade is ideal for chopping most vegetables and fruits.
When it comes to washing it, there are only three parts to wash as the blades are fixed, leaving you to worry only about the pitcher itself, the main lid, and the inner lid.
Positives: Works well at blending milkshakes and smoothies. Users like the unique intelli-speed control. Attractive design that comes in dozens of colors.
Negatives: This blender doesn’t the highest level of power so it may take longer to process certain foods, depending on their consistency. Doesn’t have a tamper which is useful for thicker recipes. Some complaints about the nylon gear under the pitcher cracking over time.
Overall Opinion: I have used a Kitchen-Aid blender with similar build quality and design for years and never had any issues. It blends well if you use enough liquid but isn’t as powerful as a high-speed blender.
Making the perfect milk shake is pretty simple with the right blender. Any of the models we listed above are great choices with the top choices offering more power and versatility than just making milk shakes and simple blending tasks.